Tuesday 13 December 2011

A visit to the dentist

Seriously, 33 and I am scared of the dentist!


(Courtesy of google images)

I had the ever so loved dentist appointment yesterday afternoon.  I have never been a fan of the dentist.  The smell the noise they all make me cringe.  I sit in the waiting room my anxiety at an all time high.  Why does a visit to the dentist do this to me?  I know in my head it really isn't that bad but I can not control that fear.

I had hardly been in the waiting room a minute when I was called in which was good less time to let myself stress over what was to come.  After all it was only a check up what could possibly go wrong.  I sat myself down in the chair and they put the chair back.  Instantly my eyes start to stream with tears.  It must seem like I am crying as it is so bad but I just have the most sensitive eyes (apparently that can be linked to endo as well) that as soon as I am led back and the light hits them and the tears stream.

It was a new dentist she was very nice was talking to me the whole time to let me know what she was doing.  It helped but not enough to set me right at ease.  So carried out the check up and was looking back to my x-rays that were taken 6 months ago.  There is one teeny tiny filling I have that they are worried may have decay behind it.  Six months ago when the x-rays were done the dentist decided it was fine but this time they want to take the filling out and check behind it.  If there is decay then they caught it quickly and no more damage can be done.  I f there is not decay then it cost me money and caused even more anxiety than was ever needed.

I would love to ignore them and not make the follow up appointment.  Common sense, however, tells me to man up and just get it over and done with.  Then if there is decay it will save toothache down the line and an emergency appointment to get it sorted.

They also did a scale and polish while I was there which left my teeth feeling lovely and clean.  I wish just brushing could do this but it never as good.  Then it was time to check my gums.  I have been mentioning to the dentist since February 2009 that my gums tend to bleed, a lot!  In the past they have been happy that everything was okay and it must be the treatment that I was on at the time.  It probably was as I was on Lup.ron at that time.

Yesterday they decided to tell me that at 33 I have the beginning of gum disease.  Seriously I almost choked.  Isn't 33 too young for gum disease?  I guess not.  As it is just the beginnings and in one specific area she was happy that if I get flossing that it should calm it down.  I have never flossed and now I am kind of regretting it.  It wasn't anything that we were told to do when we were growing up so I guess I never really thought it was needed.  Last night I went and got myself floss and got started this morning.  I forgot all about it last night.

So that's all the news from the ever so enjoyable dentist visit.  Now I just have to book the appointment. Does someone want to come and hold my hand?

And Yes I blame the Lup.ron.  I never had problems with my teeth or gums before I was put on it.  Anyone reading this who is on Lup.ron or may go on it in the future make sure you take a calcium supplement to help keep the teeth and bones from suffering any consequences.  I only wish I had known that before I started treatment.

3 comments:

  1. Gum disease is possible at any age but good news is that most of it is treatable with good dental hygene. I brush 2x daily, floss and use a flouride rinse every day. If you brush too hard it can cause tearing in the gums too which would expose nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lack of estrogen and increase in other hormones can lead to a breakdown of the gums. I learned that this summer as well. Hope you decide to get it all fixed up soon! AAAAhhhhhh endo, you mean mean spirit! Hope you are well otherwise! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, gum disease can happen at any age. Well, 33 is fine. After all, many people get afraid of the dentist. The great thing is that, despite your fears, you pushed through and visited the dentist. Pat yourself on the back for that!

    Elizabeth Cull

    ReplyDelete